The year is 1830 and at the age of just 15 years old, Ferdinand Adolf Lange became the apprentice to the master clock maker Johann Freidrick Gutkaes, in the Saxon town of Dresden.
Impressed by his horological talent and craftsmanship, Gutkaes gave him the opportunity to study the craft of timekeeping from the bottom up. Together they crafted the world-famous five-minute clock for the Semper Opera House in the town centre.
As a young man he completed his apprenticeship, working for an extra two years as assistant to his mentor. Soon after, he became a journeyman, travelling through France, England and Switzerland to study the skills of others to perfect his own. He painstakingly kept a detailed journal showing his calculations so he could draw on his experiences at will. This book has become the spiritual foundation of every Lange watch made.
After establishing his Glashutte factory in 1845, he took on 15 apprentices and encouraged them to specialise in certain fields of horology, and they soon became famous for making the most accurate pocket watches.
Fast forward to 1990 and after suffering at the hands of two world wars, Walter Lange established the A. Lange & Söhne name, 145 years to the day after his grandfather laid the very first cornerstone of Saxon watchmaking in Glashutte.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, Walter took the opportunity to embrace the new era of watchmaking by launching four models. The Lange 1, the Saxonia, the Arkade and the Tourbillon pour Le Merit were born...
5 - 7 Wood Street
Tel: +44 (0) 1789 267 072
14 Mount Street
Tel: +44 (0) 207 409 2845
23 & 25 Market Street
Tel: +44 (0) 116 255 4434