Two extremely rare Edward VII silver Warwick Vase made by Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd, London 1910 and Barnards 1922. Of typical form on square base with pedestal stem and acanthus at the base of the bowl. The sides applied with Bacchus masks and lion pelts, two entwined vine handles and an ovolo dart and beaded rim. Each vase has an internal diameter of 12" and weighs 270oz.
The original marble Warwick Vase was found in fragments by Gavin Hamilton in 1769-1770 digging in the silts of Lake Pantanello in the grounds of the Villa Tiburtina, the villa of the Roman Emperor Hadrian. It was restored in 1772-1774 by Grandjacquet to designs by Piranesi for Sir William Hamilton, who gave it to George Greville the 2nd Earl of Warwick. The Vase stood in the courtyard of Warwick Castle for almost two centuries until it was purchased for The Burrell Collection in 1979.